Finally, during 2014 we plan to visit some of the places I’ve long wanted to encounter. Part of me doesn’t want to go to such places, in case they disappoint, but heck:
- a week in Gloucestershire & Herefordshire (visiting Ludlow, having lunch at Raymond Blanc’s Le Manoir and going to Highgrove Gardens – D has a special birthday with a number ending in ‘0’ so this is a treat weekend).
- a trip starting in Yorkshire, climbing up the North East towards Edinburgh;
- a couple of days in the Lake District; and
- Pompeii & Herculaneum (plus Sorrento & Naples).
I have no greater plans than that for 2014. Seems somewhat under-ambitious for me… I wonder what else I can add to the list. Maybe I should sign up to some Georgian Group or HHA trips.
I have started making a list of some properties I’d like to visit on the North East/Scotland trip (planned for late June/early July)
North-East hit list
- Thirsk, Helmsley (http://www.sissonsgallery.co.uk), Richmond
- Constable Burton Hall Garden
- Raby Castle
- Rokeby Hall 2-5pm
- Bowes Museum
- Hovingham Hall (only open June)
- Markenfield Hall (only open June)
- Kiplin Hall
- Paxton House
- Lindasfarne/Farne Islands
- Floors Castle
- Chillingham Castle
- Durham, Newcastle & Edinburgh
- Georgian House, Edinburgh
- Hopetoun House
- Arniston House
- Drumlanrig Castle
- Dumfries House
Note to self: this is not the year to get killed cycling around London!