York is only 2 hours by train from London. I set off at 8am and was walking around York by 10.15am.
Take a National Trust membership, an RHS membership, an Historic Houses Association membership and an ArtFund membership and there is more than plenty to see in and near York.
- The Merchant Adventurer’s Hall (ArtFund)
- The Jorvik Viking Museum
- Fairfax House (HHA/ArtFund)
- The Yorkshire Museum (ArtFund)
- RHS Harlow Carr (nr Harrogate) & afternoon tea at Bettys
- Harrogate town centre
- Goddards Garden (York) (NT)
Leeds and York
- York Minster
- Bagshaw Hall (Batley), free
- Beningbrough Hall (nr York) (NT)
- Treasurer’s House (York) (NT)
and now for my thoughts on these…