On this weekend I didn’t visit either (Wilton was closed for filming and I’ve been to Longleat a couple of times in the last two years). Goes to show there is plenty else to see in Wiltshire (though I still haven’t quite got over Wilton being shut).
Our itinerary below was spread out over two days (and we managing to drive past Stonehenge three times) but it could easily be stretched out over four days with more time spent in Salisbury and a stop off at Winchester.
Our car broke down in the car park of the first house so that slowed us down somewhat while we waited for the AA man (although the enforced rest was much welcomed after three hours walking around a Stourhead Garden). Cest la vie.
- leave 8am
Stourhead House & Garden, Mere (2 ½ hours from London) – National Trust
- arrive 1030am
- off B3092, 3 miles north-west of Mere (A303)
- leave 1330 (we left 1530 due to our breakdown)
- my thoughts
Mompesson House, Salisbury centre (30 mins from Stourhead) – National Trust
- park in Central or Theatre car park (10 mins walk away)
- arrive at house 1420 (we arrived 1629 due to the breakdown – 1 min before the last admission)
- followed by visit to Salisbury cathedral, walk around Salisbury & dinner
- Travelodge on junction of A303 and A345
- 30 mins from Salisbury – 10 mins from Stonehenge if you fancy visiting
- Brockenhurst, Hampshire, SO42 7ZN
- historic house, abbey ruins & National Car Museum
- leave 9am, arrive 10am
- if set off earlier from hotel have time to visit Beaulieu village, watch New Forest ponies
- entrance free with HHA cards (otherwise £17ish pp)
- depart after lunch, 1300
- 4 1/2 miles from Winchester (take M3, head up A34, bear off right to A33 & then right turn up B3047 to Itchen Abbas. Right turn at small white sign post before pub (on left))
- arrive 1400
- house opens 1430 (join first tour – 1 hour) – free with HHA cards
- afternoon tea
- depart 1630
- arrive back Central London 1800
- my thoughts
This itinerary dates from 2011.
I’m already planning a return trip to Wiltshire to take in Wilton (HHA), Breamore House (HHA), Exbury Gardens (HHA), Heale House Gardens (HHA), Little Clarenden (NT) & Phillips House (NT). For that trip I’ll need to visit on a Saturday/Sunday/Monday. When I’ve been I’ll post the itinerary.